Pray for specific concerns facing your city.
I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. (1 Timothy 2:1-4)
- Pray for the church to be passionate about saving your city from disaster. (Genesis 18:20-33)
- Pray for Christians in the marketplace to weep as they intercede for the city’s broken walls and gates, cry out to the Lord, and receive the favor of secular leaders. (Nehemiah 1:1 – 2:10)
- Ask the Lord to grant peace and prosperity to your city and for Christs influence to increase. (Jeremiah 29:7)
- Pray for church leaders to have a God-sized concern for your city. (Jonah 4:10-11)
- Pray for an unprecedented receptivity to the gospel across your city for people of all ages, races, and economic statuses. (1 Thessalonians 1:9)
- Pray that the Lord will find in your community a place of prayer wherever believers gather. (Acts 16:11-15)
- Pray for your city to show and tell the good news to the poor, the prisoners, the blind, and the oppressed. (Luke 4:18-19)
- Pray for the church in your city to repent of its failures, pleading for Gods mercy. (Daniel 9:1-19)
- Pray for your city to become a place of refuge for people seeking protection, justice or redemption. (Numbers 35:6)
- Petition the Lord for the gospel to be discussed and debated in your communitys places of learning. (Acts 17:16-34)
Pray in different areas of your city for spiritual insight so that your prayers release blessings.
I will give you every place where you set your foot…Do not let this Book of the Law depart form your mouth; meditate on it day and night…Then you will be prosperous and successful. (Joshua 1:3,8)
- Pray at your church for the Lord to send each church member into the community with His faith, hope, and love.
- Pray at your city-limits sign for a move of the Holy Spirit that causes citizens to welcome the message of Christ.
- Go next door and ask your neighbors how you can pray for them and their family.
- Offer a prayer station at a street corner or as part of a community celebration, and be available to pray onsite with people.
- Get to know the neighborhood school principal, and ask for permission to prayerwalk the campus.
- Go to a community park to pray for the families there.
- Visit your citys business district, and pray for business owners, workers, and the citys economy.
- Walk through city hall, and ask God to give your city justice, righteousness, peace, and salvation.
- Go to your citys museums and theaters. Ask God to inspire Christian artists to produce works that gloriously display the gospel.
- Ride along with police officers in high-crime areas to pray for peace.
Pray with people who can influence your city.
As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you. (1 Samuel 12:23)
- Pray with elected officials for the decisions they make to have positive effects on the community.
- Pray with social workers about the families they serve.
- Pray with educators for the children they teach.
- Pray with business owners for financial blessings on their businesses and the community.
- Pray with police officers for all neighborhoods to have protection and peace.
- Pray with firefighters for safety and security in the city.
- Pray with doctors and nurses for their patients who need healing.
- Pray with coaches about the athletes they work with.
- Pray with journalists for God to use them to report stories that honor true faith, hope, and love.
- Pray with pastors for their congregations to have an impact on the city for Jesus Christ.